Working your way through Dry January? Detoxing after vacation? Just need to give your liver a break? There are lots of ways to stay strong and distract yourself when you are not drinking alcohol. Try one of these useful things to do instead of drinking at night after work. You might just pick up a new hobby or healthy habit while you’re at it!
Disclaimer: I am not an addiction coach or a health professional. I have no experience with addiction. This post may not be helpful for an alcoholic. I am not claiming to know what addiction or withdrawal feels like or what things can help it. I am simply giving up alcohol for a period of time and suggesting things that I know to be helpful in my own experience.
This post contains affiliate links to products and services we recommend. We may make a commission, and there is no cost to you.
Have A Reason For Not Drinking
Everyone has their reasons to attempt a dry January, or any kind of break from alcohol. Maybe it’s to clean up your system and start fresh for the New Year, or maybe it’s just because it sounded like a good idea. Whatever your reason, having a reason is important to your success. That reason, silly or serious, will help keep you on track when the middle days of January drag on longer and longer.
No matter what we say – “I’m not addicted, of course I can stop. I only drink on the weekends anyways…” – change is hard! It is not easy to give up things you enjoy or to remove habits that have a strong place in your routine.
My reasons this January are health issues I have been putting on the back burner for way too long. Everywhere I turn for help I see the same suggestion… quit the alcohol. I’ve been kicking and screaming, and now I am finally giving in. It’s time to clean up my act and get serious about my health.
Have a Plan
So how will I do it? How will I not give in when I feel the urge to pour a drink? Below I have listed 31 things to do instead of drinking at night. It’s already 23 days into January. I am doing many things on this list, and I feel great! I might extend my drinking hiatus into February!
Indoor Things To Do Instead of Drinking
1. Learn How To Play An Instrument
- DrumeoEdge is a great platform for drummers. It does have a yearly fee, but we use this daily and have found it to be an impressive value for the price.
- Guitareo – Guitar System is our pick for a great guitar lesson library.
- Ukulele – A 10 day Beginner Course on YouTube!
- Don’t have a Ukulele yet? This is the one we have.
2. Cook Something New
- Dig out the old family cookbooks.
- Call your Mom and ask her for a favorite family recipe.
- Subscribe to a meal home delivery service like Gobble or Home Chef (get $90 off with this link!)
- Follow some new accounts on Instagram.
3. Learn How To Dance
- Moonwalk, Glide and Slide Step like Micheal Jackson
- Salsa, Cha Cha, Rumba and Swing – learn to dance as a couple
4. Learn A New Skill On SkillShare
Skillshare is a platform where you can learn just about anything! Here are some examples of the wide rage of subjects they offer.
- Watercolor Painting
- Web Design
- Interior Design
- GarageBand (We all want to use that app on our computer, now we can learn how!)
5. Learn Something New on MasterClass
Masterclass is a platform where your classes are taught by masters in their field.
- Skateboarding – with Tony hawk
- Cooking – with Gordon Ramsay
- The Art of Magic – with Penn & Teller
- Photography – with Annie Leibovitz
- Acting – with Natalie Portman
6. Make A New Pinterest Board
There are literally thousands of ideas you could put onto a new Pinterest board. The best part is that Pinterest could occupy you for hours! So many possibilities!
- Vision Boards
- Cooking / Desserts
- Beautiful Rings
- Places To Visit
- Ball Gowns
7. Build or Paint a Model Kit Truck/Car
Browse your local hobby shop, or head over to Amazon. These are two my family wants to try.
8. Read A Book
Here are 4 books in my “To-Be-Read” pile.
- The Silent Patient -by Alex Michaelides
- The Guest List – by Lucy Foley
- Me Before You – by Jojo Moyes
- The Chestnut Man – by Soren Sveistrup (coming to Netflix!)
9. Build A Puzzle
10. Play A Board Game / Online Game
Old school games, or online they all provide a night of entertainment.
11. Play Your Old Video Games
Our old video games are sitting in a box in the closet. When we get them out they keep us busy four hours. The new games have amazing graphics, but there is something appealing about Mario Brothers and having to start all over when you run out of lives.
- Nintendo DS
12. Play With Your Kids
13. Online Fitness Classes
- Beachbody – a yearly fee and you will be assigned a coach
- Openfit – a month fee and you can work the programs at your own pace
- VShred – programs that can help you shred at the gym
Outdoor Things To Do
14. Go For A Walk
Listen to audiobooks or podcasts, or listen to nothing and clear your mind. The fresh air will make you feel rejuvenated.
15. Go Watch a Winter Sunset
The sun sets early in the winter, you could be back before dinner!
16. Make A Chick-Fil-A Run Before Bed
Since you aren’t drinking you are able to jump in the car and head out to get chicken nuggets for a late night snack!
17. Be A Photographer
Grab your camera/phone and walk around your neighborhood. Pretend you are a professional photographer.
- Download a photo editing app then post them on instagram! (Don’t forget to tag us @SpillingTequila)
- Beginners can try the Couch to 5K
- Already a runner – sign up for a virtual race
19. Go Hiking
- Use the AllTrails app to find hiking trails near you.
20. Go For A Bike Ride
- Around your neighborhood
- At a local park
- Biking apps can help you find trails or map a course
21. The Fitness Trail At Your Local Park
We’ve all seen them, attached to the walking trail at your local park. Try some of the stations! They are harder than they look. How many pull-ups can you do?
Ways to Replace Your Cocktail
22. Drink Mocktails
23. Buy A New Water Bottle
- Hydroflask – I try to fill this 3 times a day…one before lunch, one before dinner, and the final one before bed.
- Starbucks cup – This helps when I can’t go to Starbucks everyday.
24. Drink Some New Seltzer Flavors
25. Go for a Late Night Milk Shake Run
The best part of not drinking… being able to drive! Head out to McDonalds, Five Guys, or Dairy Queen and get a milkshake. Or, better yet, get ingredients and make your own!
Self Care Things To Do
26. Self Tan!
Just because it’s winter doesn’t mean we need to be pasty white!
- St. Tropas – It won’t leave you orange… I promise!
27. Care For Your Hair
- Use your essential oils and make an oil serum for your hair.
- Try a new Hair Mask
28. Plan Your Summer Vacation
- The Beach
- The Mountains
- A Lake
- The City
29. Take a Bubble Bath
- Bath Bombs
- Bubble Bath
- Bath Tray – You’ll never want to get out and you’ll have a place for all your things.
Home Things To Do
30. Tackle a DIY Project
Here are a few great DIY and Crafting Blogs…
31. Deep Clean
For some people deep cleaning is relaxing. I fall into this camp now and then. Here are a few ideas to get you started!
- Clean out a closet
- Organize your junk drawer
- Shine your sink! A little trick I learned from FlyLady years ago.